Thursday, March 1, 2012

I Need A Break!

This entry is a recap from one of our coaches, Senior Artie Kaylor, from the game last Saturday, 2/25.

Within minutes the Golden Knights were down one Special Olympic athlete. Alex, playing the game with all his heart tripped and injured his finger. With a round of applause from the Rowan partners, the Special Olympic athletes and the fans Alex was off getting the assistance he needed.

The game must go on, right? Yes, but down one athlete meant the other two Special Olympic athletes were in for a long game. They did not know it at the time, but I was there to push every ounce of energy out of them I could. Playing four eight-minute quarters straight through without any substitutes is a task not many people can do! Well, let me tell you something. These athletes did it!

Mike and Antar on the Golden Nights gave me everything they had. They were running back and forth, getting rebounds, and dribbling the ball to their basket to take a shot. It was awesome! Then as the game entered the last few seconds of the 2nd quarter fatigue set in. Antar and Mike both were exhausted. "Coach, I need a break... my legs feel like they aren't there," said Mike.

I knew what he meant, but there was no taking him out of the game. Then a wise man gave me a vital tool! Use my time-outs, give them a break and encourage them to continue. Each time-out I would get the same words "I need a Break coach" from both Antar and Mike. I didn't know what to do. These athletes were playing so well and giving me everything they had. I really wanted to give them a break, but I didn't. Instead I would encourage them to continue and told them at the end of the game we would be on top and nothing could stop the Golden Knights!

Boy oh boy, how it felt each time these two athletes would say, "okay coach, I will do it for you". I need a break didn't matter to them anymore. They wanted to make me, their coach, happy. What a feeling that is when you know someone is hurting and really on the edge of giving up, but pushes on just because you believe in them! Let me say this, these two athletes have every bit of respect from me. They are true "go-getters" and I will spend every single Saturday morning on the courts with these athletes. I won't miss a minute, because it's not us, the Rowan students, teaching them. It's each and every Special Olympic athlete teaching us!

Thanks Golden Knights! Thanks for accepting me as your coach and teaching me how to be a better person each and everyday.

By: The Coach of the Golden Knights, Arthur Kaylor

1 comment:

  1. Alex is healed and ready to play this weekend. Hope you're ready for The A Train.

    ReplyDelete